Queens Couple Found Guilty of Second Degree Murder For Beating Death 5-Year-Old Boy

According to evidence at trial, Owusu and Valerie Owusu and Emmanuel Addae, residents of Corona, Queens, brutally beat Owusu’s 5-year-old son, King Owusu with at least four different instruments inside of their apartment in Lefrak City, Queens.

LEFRAK CITY, NY – Valerie Owusu and Emmanuel Addae, residents of Corona, Queens, have been found guilty of Murder in the Second Degree after a jury trial. Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney made the announcement, expressing the horrific nature of the crime committed against Owusu’s 5-year-old son, King Owusu.

“This little boy was beaten and suffered for days at the hands of these defendants, one of whom was his own mother, until he unfortunately succumbed to his severe and extensive injuries,” said District Attorney Tierney. “Thanks to the thorough investigation by the Suffolk County Police Department, the relentless pursuit of justice by the prosecutors assigned to this case, and the jury’s careful consideration of the evidence presented, the defendants have been held accountable for this horrific crime.”

During the trial, evidence revealed that between March 30 and April 1, 2021, Owusu and Addae subjected King to a series of brutal beatings using multiple instruments inside their apartment in Lefrak City, Queens. Rather than seeking medical help for the child, the couple watched his condition worsen for approximately three days until he lost consciousness. Tragically, King succumbed to his severe injuries.

On April 1, 2021, Owusu and Addae took King to a family member’s residence in Brentwood, where they left him to die. It was only when the family member returned home and discovered the lifeless body of the young boy that the Suffolk County Police Department was notified. King was pronounced dead upon arrival at Southside Hospital.

The medical examiner’s testimony revealed the extent of King’s injuries, which covered his entire body and were too numerous to count. These injuries ultimately caused his untimely death.

On March 22, 2024, Owusu and Addae were both convicted of Murder in the Second Degree, a Class A felony, following a rigorous two-and-a-half-week-long trial presided over by Supreme Court Justice Steven A. Pilewski. Each defendant now faces a potential sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

The next court appearance for Owusu and Addae is scheduled for May 1, 2024, where they will be sentenced. Owusu is being represented by Rene Myatt, Esq., while Addae has Raymond Baierlein, Esq. as his legal counsel.

The prosecution of this case has been led by Assistant District Attorney Elena Tomaro of the Homicide Bureau and Assistant District Attorney Scott Romano of the Major Crime Bureau. The Suffolk County Police Department’s Homicide Squad conducted the investigation, spearheaded by Detective Patrick Portella and Detective James Hughes.

This tragic incident serves as a reminder of the importance of protecting the most vulnerable members of our society and seeking justice for those who have suffered such unspeakable acts.

Important: This story is categorized as a crime story and thus it is important to note that charges are accusations and defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Comment via Facebook

Corrections: If you are aware of an inaccuracy or would like to report a correction, we would like to know about it. Please consider sending an email to corrections@longislandguide.com and cite any sources if available. Thank you. (Policy)